This lemon curd is neither to sweet or to sour- just the right combination of both. The short but sweet pastry crust can be baked beforehand, and then it can be filled with any type of filling. The lemon curd really compliments the perfect crust. Mmmmmmmm….
7 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (3-4 lemons)
1/4 cup grated lemon zest
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2- inch pieces
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1. The prepared crust must still be warm when filling is added. *
2. Preheat oven to 375*F.
3. Whisk the egg yolks, whole eggs, and sugar until just combined.
4. Whisk in the lemon juice, zest, and salt.
5. Transfer the mixture into a nonreactive saucepan, add the butter, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the curd thickens to a thin, sauce-like consistency, about 5 minutes.
6. Strain the curd immediately through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean nonreactive bowl and stir in the cream.
7. Pour the curd into the prepared tart crust.
8. Bake until filling is shiny and opaque, about 10-15 minutes.
9. Serve the tart within a couple of hours.
*If crust has been cooled already, it can be warmed in the oven for a few minutes. Just don’t burn it!